“Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as also ye do.” I Thess. 5:11
There are five dear men in our church–mostly new converts–who have made a league to call each other every day with the intent of encouraging the other. Each checks on his buddies, helps them in their walk with God, lifts up any who straggle. Isn’t that the greatest thing. Their years have been rough ones; they have struggled with life, they’ve been addicted to drugs and alcohol and tobacco, they’ve brawled and have broken laws and have been in jail and their court records set inches high. It’s not easy to radically change their way of living. But they’re doing it through the power of the Holy Ghost, and with help from each other and from other people.
From Paul’s remarks here, I gather that at the church in Thessalonica, they also encouraged each other. Oh, they didn’t have cell phones or radios or computers or the internet–none of that–but when they met in the market place, or in the fields, no doubt the men slapped each other on the back. Hey, how’s it going? God’s good, isn’t He. He’s righteous and loving and one day He’s coming back for us, and let’s live for Him, let’s strive for godliness and holiness…and see you in house meeting on Wednesday night…
Robert Browning in his poetic way also speaks beautiful encouraging words about God and His world.
- The year’s at the spring,
- And day’s at the morn;
- Morning’s at seven;
- The hill-side’s dew-pearled;
- The lark’s on the wing;
- The snail’s on the thorn;
- God’s in his Heaven –
- All’s right with the world!
- I want to encourage you to day, want to edify you, want to lift you. God is good, all-powerful, amazing, able, loving, understanding, forgiving. And you? You can make it through another day. Yes, you can! You can be successful. You can be happy. You can live righteously. You can. Despite your challenging surroundings, despite your pain, despite your disappointments, despite your weakness and failures. You can make it!